NAVBARIMAGE

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

A Working Definition of My Classroom

Holy hamburgers. 

It's only Tuesday and I am exhausted!

Yesterday, we were able to move into our rooms and start decorating! Needless to say, I was excited. By 4:30 am, my body couldn't handle the excitement and woke itself up. Four thirty in the morning. Luckily, I fell back asleep an hour later... only to wake up again at 7 and head to the school. Early bird catches the worm, right?

Let me tell you this about decorating a classroom for the first time: it is not as easy as it looks. Basically, you take a bare-boned room and turn it into a home away from home for your kiddos-- not an easy task. Try looking at this:



....and trying to figure out what angle your projector needs to be placed while still being in reach of the Smart Board and computer without blocking any fire exists! Talk about thinking outside of the box. But, as I've heard some great teachers say,
"flexibility is the most essential attribute of a great teacher."
So I gave it a shot. It worked out pretty well, I'd say.  I had so much fun rearranging my furniture and putting up my decorations!  I walked in to my room sincerely thinking that I had too much stuff (ha ha ha) and was greatly surprised to find out that I didn't.  There are so many things that you don't think of until you're actually in the room decorating. Such as command hooks for my "crisis bag." And even when you know to bring specific things, you run out! Like border for my bulletin boards...

Day one of decorating consisted mainly of rearranging my tables, making a small group area, and putting up my bulletin board decorations.  I was there the whole day, too! Who knew that would take so long. I decided to do a Seuss themed classroom, since I love him so much!

From my "doorway"!

Check out that cute mesh on top of my board! Thank you to an amazing colleague of mine who taught me how to make it. It worked out so well with the red bows. Very Seussical!

The Dr. Seuss quote above my board says,
"Today you are you. That is truer than true! There is no one on earth who is you-er than you!"

Did I mention that we're open concept over here at CyFair? Say hello to my neighbors over there!

So Monday was GREAT! I made some great progress on my room and my class ring came in the mail from San Jose Jewelers! Ain't it purty?  I love it so much because not only is it gorgeous, but I get to look back on my amazing time at Baylor every time I catch a glimpse of it. Sic 'em!




Come back soon for a final look at my classroom!!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment